Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Living Water


“…I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away… On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.’ By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive.” (John 6:35-37, 7:37-39 NIV)

Jesus calls us to come to him both thirsty and believing so that he can come to us with rivers of living water. Although that thirst might be activated or intensified by adverse circumstances, the thirst is actually generated by God himself (John 6:44). We come to Jesus, the one promised to immerse us in the rivers of living water that they may flow from within us (Acts 1:5).

Here, the object of our desire and goal of our faith is revealed. It is Jesus along with what he came to do for, in, and through us. We can’t generate true desire for Jesus on our own, nor is faith fully faith outside of those things we are invited to apply our faith towards.

His promise is that we will not remain thirsty, as long as we continue to come to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment